Sunday, October 11, 2009

Home

We've been home a few days and the jet lag is starting to recede. We sleep almost until 4:30 a.m. (Brian) or 5:30 a.m. (Meg) now!! *sigh* Staying up past 10 pm is still pretty hard.

The trip home was unadventurous, except for the part where the French customs agent would not believe that my Hermes scarf was in fact an Hermes scarf. I had the scarf, the receipt, the document from Hermes telling me to apply for the luxury tax rebate - but alas, my scarf does not have "Hermes" written on it, and I had only packed the scarf in my carry-on, not the box. (you need to have your boarding card -- so have your luggage already checked -- when you apply for the rebate).


Frustrating, with a pretty little customs agent scouring the Hermes website looking for my scarf. Finally she called her supervisor who looked at the scarf, touched it briefly, and said, Ca va.

Huge sigh of relief! Anyway, my scarf is in their little catalogue, so *I* know it is Hermes, even if nobody else does.

We had pods home to Toronto and regular seats home to Edmonton. Crappy crowded little Maple Leaf lounge in Charles de Gaulle, but a really nice one in Toronto.

Brian spent an hour or so on the plane making the list of items to declare for Canada Customs, and we were a bit over our combined limit of $1,500.00 duty free. The Customs agent wished us a good trip and did not ask us to pay any duty, nor were we told where to go to pay any. Meg had to restrain Brian from repeatedly asking where we should go to pay the duty.

For a few days after we got back we were drinking wine and hanging out at cheese shops to ease the transition.

Great trip but it is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment